Sign Up  |  Log In

Toxic Foods for Dogs

During the holiday season you may come across toxic food for dogs. Friends, relatives, kids may all be in the house, and may sneak something to Fido.  Please teach your family about the toxic foods for dogs.  Rushing in search of food, because their noses work better than ours ever will. So this holiday season or this year, we wanted to add some of toxic foods for dogs to our site. Refer people back to this page, as we are sure that the items that are toxic today, will be similar in the future.

Toxic Foods for Dogs

toxic food for dogs

Unwrapped Chocolate Bar is a toxic food for dogs

Consumption of chocolate is the No. 1 holiday-related toxic food for dogs item. Chocolate is everywhere during the holidays, and an overwhelming majority of dogs are bona fide chocoholics. Dogs love a good hunt for anything with their noses, and they can smell it when they enter a room. The real problem is chocolate that has been gift wrapped. Humans unknowingly place wrapped chocolate under the tree. The dog knows exactly what’s in the package, and helps himself as soon as the owner’s back is turned.

Chocolate is for human consumption

Not only does this place the dog at risk of chocolate toxicity, it also is a waste of a gift. The good news is that chocolate toxicity is rarely fatal when treated. However, the trend towards ever darker, stronger chocolates, as well as mountains of chocolate bars…. places dogs at increasing risk. Don’t forget that chocolate often coats other potential toxins such as macadamia nuts and raisins. When giving gifts to dog owners, don’t give wrapped chocolate. Maybe use a stocking for these items to help mask the smell.

Untended platters of food 

toxic food for dogs

Dog on the table taking advantage of the opportunity

If you have a dog, you have one of the great escape artists. They know more about where food is in your house. What’s more, they know your habits and know when to make a run for it for the cheese or salmon tray. Watch your friends and relatives and if possible educate them all. If the dogs are out during the party, PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE DOG.

A combination of parties, special meals, and guests presents a singular holiday pattern. It sets dogs up for massive dietary indiscretion. I remember the story of the dog who ate 43 wool socks and if not for some digestive issues, would have never been cured of the socks in its belly.  Some dogs have developed severe gastrointestinal issues. Keep an eye on the dog, the food, and the trash during special meals.

Inedible holiday items — which the dog eats

toxic food for dogs

Socks found inside a dog

There’s also  an uptick in gastrointestinal foreign bodies during the holiday season. In case you didn’t already know, dogs are silly creatures and they eat the darnedest things. We’ve heard stories of dogs treated for eating ornaments, wrapping paper, ribbons, and all other manner of holiday-related items. Besides the dog and wool socks another holiday favorite is the Labrador (of course) puppy who consumed an entire string of Christmas lights. Believe it or not, the lights passed through his GI system and he did not require surgery. Never assume you know what your dog will not ingest. Many dogs like the waste from cats for some unknown reason or they will eat toxic foods outside and then come in and throw it up on your $300 pair of shoes or $600 new sofa.

Outdoor dangers and toxic foods for dogs

Short days and long nights mean more night walks. Use a proper leash and harness and a winter jacket if needed. I also strongly recommend lighting your dog at night. there are many good LED colors that are solid. I have found that blinking LED bike lights tend to be more durable than the canine-specific lights from the pet store.toxic food for dogs

Poinsettia and mistletoe and other items

And finally, no holiday discussion about dogs would be complete without the mandatory mention of poinsettia and mistletoe. We believe that poinsettia and mistletoe are only mildly toxic. But grape or raisin ingestion may lead to fatal kidney failure in susceptible individuals. Maybe in the future the toxicologists will change their minds again, but for now you needn’t worry too intensely about these two holiday plants (although they are not healthy treats, and dogs should not be allowed to consume them). However, a toxicologist recently told me, and I quote, “there is no safe dose of grapes or raisins in dogs.” So please keep them away from the Champagne on New Year’s as well.

We want you and your dog to have a very safe and happy holiday season so that we may see you all in the new year.